Monday, February 24, 2020

Microfiction: Two Small Stories on War

War's Oath

It demolishes bonds and guzzles blood.



Conflict and Carnage

War is chaos. Friends and enemies lay injured and dying; and, those who survive become mad from war. War's conflict and carnage spare no one.


What is left after war?


Author's Note:
Both the 6 word story and the 25 word story above are inspired by the war between the Pandavas and Kauravas in the Mahabharata. In this there are cousins against cousins, brothers against brothers, and even fathers against sons. I wanted to convey how horrible a wat really is. I've never seen war first hand but history is a lesson on how horrible war can be. The war in the Mahabharata really made me wonder why they would consider fighting each other when it just causes even more death and destruction.

Bibliography:
Mahabharata by Arnold, Besant, Devee, Dutt, Ganguli, Kincaid, Macfie, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Seeger, and Tagore.

3 comments:

  1. Raphael! I would like to say that something that I found most interesting about this story was how you cleverly described the aspects of war and chaos within 25 words or less. Not only was it concise, but it was creative in terms of how you manifested the traumatic aspects of war, and left the rest of the thinking for the readers to explore themselves. Something I would ask is that was there a specific outline or inspiration as to where you created the structure of the story from? Perhaps a famous poem, maybe? If you didn't, this is something that I find most impressive and I look forward to the stories that you have to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raphael! Your first story, in just six words, told of the sad truth of war. However, I wonder why you chose to title it "War's Oath?" More specifically, why was the word "oath" chosen? Do you think war is a pledge to destroy bonds? Overall, both stories really caused me to think, even though it only contained a few words. I think you have done a great job as a writer to make the audience begin thinking of what our own opinions are on big topics like war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Raphael
    I greatly enjoyed reading your small story. War is such a deep topic that can influence everyone. I thought the first story was carefully worded. The word guzzle reminds me of a car or machine guzzling gas and war is often thought of as a machine. War is fueled by the lives of young soldiers. The second story is also greatly worded because while war is supposed fought between two groups, war affects everyone. The last words to the story is no one is spared and it’s completely true. Your story was a good read!


    ReplyDelete